When you’re using your air conditioning, the last thing you want is for it to be blowing hot air. Your outside and inside HVAC units work together to make sure that your home stays at a comfortable temperature year-round. When the air conditioner is blowing hot air, you can clearly tell that something is not working properly.
Why is my air conditioner blowing warm air? If you find yourself in that situation, take a look at these possible reasons to see if you can track down the source of the issue.
1. The thermostat is set incorrectly. Check that the thermostat is set to “Auto” not “On” because “On” will cause it to blow air even if there is no cooling actively happening. This is often the underlying cause.
2. There is an airflow problem. Another possibility is that there is a problem with the airflow. Generally this happens for two reasons. The first is that the air filter hasn’t been replaced in a long time, and the dirt is preventing the cool air from flowing in. Take out the air filter and clean it thoroughly. If you can’t get it sufficiently clean, then it is time for a new filter. The second reason for an airflow issue is that the coils could be dirty. Cleaning the coils is part of routine HVAC maintenance, so make sure that you get that done regularly. Max C. Smith Company can assist with changing air filters and cleaning coils.
3. No electricity is going to the outside unit. It could also be the case that there isn’t electricity flowing from inside the house to the outside unit. In this case, take a look at the circuit breaker for a tripped circuit. If there is a tripped circuit, contact Max C. Smith Company to fix the problem.
4. There is a blockage in the outside unit. Your outside air conditioning unit, also known as the condenser unit, could have a blockage. If there are any leaves, sticks, trash, or other debris in or on the unit, turn the unit off from inside and clean it out. You may find that this solves your problem. Be sure to keep your condenser unit clean and free from debris all year round to avoid future issues.
5. Compressor issue. There could also be an issue with your outside air conditioning unit or compressor. Stay on the safe side and don’t handle this one yourself. Call Max C. Smith Company to fix your compressor issue.
6. Broken return duct. Unfortunately, this is not an issue that you can fix yourself. Thankfully, Max C. Smith Company is able to fix your broken return duct. Be sure to call Max C. Smith Company if this is the cause of the issue.
Why is my air conditioner blowing warm air? It is always great when you find the solution to a problem and it is easy to solve. If your problem reason for your air conditioning blowing warm air is easy to fix, then go for it! But don’t get in over your head.
As always, remember that safety should be your top priority at any point, including when working on your air conditioning system. If you encounter problems beyond the scope of your skillset, call Max C. Smith Company to solve the problem instead of trying to tackle it by yourself.