We are mere days away from peeling ourselves off park benches and breaking into a sweat between the house and the car. That means we’re at the start of air-conditioner season. Has it been hotter than usual around your home this summer? There are a lot of things you can do around your home that can help keep things cool when temperatures soar.
Ultimately, you want your equipment to be running as efficiently as possible and operating smoothly. Here is a list of things you can do to make sure that you stay cool during the summer.
- Keep windows and doors closed.
- While you’re out, keep your house curtains drawn to stop your house from heating up like a greenhouse.
- Rearrange your furniture so that you aren’t blocking any vents or registers.
- Keep registers and vents open.
- Check to make sure your pets have not accidentally closed a vent while lying on it.
- Change your HVAC filter regularly, particularly if you have pets. Pet hair can quickly build up in your HVAC filter which causes your unit to not be functioning at peak performance.
- Shade your south-facing windows.
- Seal any air leaks around your windows and doors.
- Shade your air conditioning condenser (the box that sits outside).
- Have your ducts cleaned each year.
- Have preventable maintenance performed on your air conditioner each year.
Make sure you mark your 2019 calendar for an end of summer clean and check. It’s never too early to plan ahead!
If you think that your air conditioner is not performing to the best of its ability, contact Max C. Smith Company today!
Do you do these things to stay cool every year? What other tasks do you have for keeping cool during the summer?